Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2008

Iguana Tastes Like Chicken



I went to Bacab Eco Park while I was in Belize City. On the bus ride, we had a local woman telling us all sorts of trivia about Belize. Here are some of my favorites: Lots of locals eat Iguana meat and say it tastes like chicken. She was quick to mention that we would be having something that tastes like chicken for lunch. (It was chicken!) They cook their rice and beans in coconut milk, that's why it tastes so good! Two Belize dollars equal one US dollar. (I sent postcards for 15 cents from Belize!) The Coke is sweeter (as if Coke NEEDS to be any sweeter) because they make it with brown sugar in Belize. I tried fried plantains (again) here. (I've never really cared for them, but they LOOK like they should taste good, so I keep trying them. They were really good here! They didn't taste like a tasteless potato fried mush, they were more slimy and really tasty, not bland, kind of like caramelized onions.) Belize used to be British Honduras, so the official language is English. Many people also speak Spanish and they have an English slang called "Lazy Language." (It's like speaking the way you text message people.) Back when there was a large prison in Belize City, the inmates were fed lobster. I guess nobody had discovered butter yet, so they thought lobster was just a pest. There are 4 traffic lights in Belize and 3 are working. There aren't any traffic police, but there are speed bumps in front of schools. The locals call the speed bumps "sleeping policemen." I was amazed at how colorful the animals and fruit were. Everything was so vivid. When I came back from the butterfly garden I decided to walk to the post office. I have never had my ego boosted SO MUCH! Every man, woman and child walked with me and told me how beautiful I was, asked me who did my hair, offered me chilled, just opened coconuts, offered me a ride, wanted me to come check out their table of stuff to sell, asked me if I was a super model, everyone calls each other "sweetie." I was almost to the post office with most of my entourage when I spied Terry. He had some guys hanging on the fence of a basketball court asking him which team he was from. They were sure he was a professional football player or something. I did find something I liked on a table and bought it for Mom. I had to haggle with a guy that claimed to only speak Spanish and then suddenly only spoke English when we started haggling in Spanish. The people were all very mellow and happy.

1 comment:

Elise said...

This looks so fun, Julia!! I'm glad you went.