Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2008

Best Use For a Recycled School Bus



And the award goes to: The resourceful locals of Isla Roatan! :) The bus ride was great. The tour guide told stories the whole way to the beach. He has a friend with a 6-foot long iguana. Cameron Diaz has a house on the island. She has to fly in a pink helicopter to get to her house, there aren't any roads to it! Richard Gere brought his whole family on vacation with him. Then there's possibly the most exagerated (or maybe it's true, I believed him, but Terry was skeptical.) story: The guide was walking around his neighborhood and saw Sylvester Stallone walking around by himself. He went up to him and introduced himself and they went to a restaurant and ate together. He didn't have a picture or any proof. Not even an autograph. He said he doesn't walk around his neigborhood with a camera around his neck and didn't even think to ask for his autograph. Lots of celebrities like to go to Roatan Island to escape because they aren't even recognized. There aren't any movie theaters and very few people have televisions. Most of the houses are on stilts. There is a great divide on the island. There are homes and little businesses that seem like little villages, then on the other side of the island there are hotels and condos where the rich live on the beachfront property. At Tabyana Beach, I found a comfy lounge chair, had my hair braided, read my book and wrote in my journal. Terry and I took turns snorkeling. I thought I lost him a few times, he would go out and never come back! The local men are liars! They were in kayaks and would feed the fish to attract them. I was happily snorkeling about when I thought I saw a plastic baggie, but after a second look, I decided it was a jellyfish! I popped my head up and asked the local man if there were jellyfish here and he says, "Oh no, lay-dee, there are no jellyfish here." LIAR! Terry even said he saw a bunch. Why do all the local men feel the need to lie to me!?! I liked to just float and be really still. The fish would swarm around me like I was just part of their school. When they flapped me with a fin it felt like someone tapping me on the shoulder, so I would turn and the fish would all go away. Then I would play dead again, and they would come back. :) What fun! I have lots of underwater shots, so I'll probably just post a bunch and not do too much writing. :)

No comments: